Timothy Patrick Dooling, CFA
+ 65 943 49324
A maritime professional and seasoned financial analyst seeking to apply strong communication and analytical skills in a maritime context. A passion for original thought and research driven decision making. Global investment experience using deep understanding of broad cross sections of finance combined with comprehensive understanding of maritime equipment.
Analytic Firepower San Diego/Singapore 2010 – Present
Investment Advisor, Owner
· Founded Registered Investment Advisory/Research Firm to provide investment analysis, financial analysis and wealth management services to individuals and institutions
· Specialty Maritime experience utilized to structure innovative financial solutions for maritime assets undergoing financial distress. Success was dependent upon ability to effectively communicate complex maritime reality to financial investors.
· Deep expertise in communicating complicated and specialized financial and maritime industry topics to both industry specialists and broader audiences.
· Excel at written explanation of the decision process. Written reports being integral to the research process, after having written and distilled information down to succinct reasons for making a decision.
· Advised and contributed to academic research in areas of corporate governance. Successfully pursued activist shareholder initiatives in both private and public companies for clients.
· Provide boutique investment research on an ad hoc basis for institutional and high-net-worth clients, often evaluating a company/project or industry and providing grounded recommendations based upon thoughtful analysis.
Torrey Pines Capital Management San Diego, CA July 09 - January 10
Senior Analyst, Global Long/Short Equity Hedge Fund
Managed a team of 3 analysts in evaluating companies worldwide and their competitive environment. Produced high-quality fundamental analysis and derivative strategies for a $400m+ global large cap equity portfolio. Seeking to lead by example, produced solid conclusions based on solid fundamental analysis.
Avalon Capital San Diego, CA December 07 - May 09
Lead Portfolio Analyst, Multi-Billion Single Family Office
Role involved distillation of economic views down to executable transactions for a >$billion private portfolio. This involved identifying investment opportunities, creating and implementing actionable transactions with highly transparent communication. Examples of successful initiatives included:
· VLCC floating storage chartering during crude contango of 2008.
· Successfully undertook an activist shareholder initiative, resulting in improved governance.
· Effective structuring and timely deployment of large scale derivative hedging transactions.
· Primary responsibility for derivative structuring/analysis/execution. Large emphasis on credit derivatives and analysis.
North Island Partners San Diego, California March 02 – December 07
Portfolio Manager, Founder of Global Equity Long/Short Investment Partnership
Responsible for all investment decisions for a multimillion dollar investment partnership with heavy emphasis on maritime assets. This role included constant relationship management with ultra high net worth clients, fostering trust and communication leading to broader advisory role with key clients. Owned and advised on structured financial solutions for specialized maritime equipment.
Bricoleur Capital Management San Diego, CA April 00 - January 02
Analyst/Junior Partner in $700 Million Equity Long/Short Hedge Fund
Hired to assist the portfolio managers with the entire investment process of >$1 billion portfolio.
Heavy client interface with institutional and high net worth client base. Main role was securities
valuation based largely upon and cash-flow metrics for U.S. companies. Analyzed and communicated
interpretation of macro catalysts affecting the earnings potential for companies for both the long and
Robert Fleming Securities London, U.K. 1995 – April 00
Manager, EMEA Equities
Emerging markets equity analyst covering Eastern European and African companies. Hired to help build an Eastern European investment team. Helped establish from the ground up an investment banking presence in Eastern Europe for the bank. This position involved representation of the interests of the bank and our clients in one of the most difficult legal and financial operating environments in the world. Published research on a variety of public companies in Eastern Europe and Africa. Researched and executed public and private equity transactions.
Meredith Jones & Co. Tashkent, Uzbekistan 1991-1995
Central Asian Representative
Built and managed a substantial cotton trading operation for Liverpool cotton merchant. Established a presence in various cotton producing nations of the ex-Soviet Union, and built a cotton brokerage business from scratch, into one of the largest exporters of Central Asian cotton. Directly responsible for high-level (Prime Ministerial) contract and relationship negotiations. Directly managed a country staff of 12, including 4 expatriates. Held direct responsibility for the success of $20 million equity investment in agricultural Joint Venture.
MBA (Accounting Emphasis) University of San Diego, San Diego, California 2007
B.Sc. (Finance) Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California 1991
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charterholder.
· Grading and Exam development services 2011-2012.
United States Coast Guard Licensed Master (1989), including commercial towing endorsement.
English – Mother Tongue.
Russian – Very Highly Proficient/Fluent, used as working language in office environment for 5 years.